If you want to make a meaningful and lasting impact on the life of another, then look no further. You've come to the right place.
"Literacy empowers people, enables them to participate fully in society and contributes to improved livelihoods. Literacy is also a driver for sustainable development in that it enables greater participation in the labour market; improved child and family health and nutrition; reduces poverty and expands life opportunities."
— United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization
While, most of you are probably thinking about how you are going to spend your summer vacation, we encourage you to also think about the fall and tutoring an adult learner next year.
Posted by Dartmouth Learning Network on Thursday, May 2, 2019
Visit our blog page to see more volunteer and learner stories
To provide adults with the highest quality of individual academic support possible, free of charge, thereby creating opportunities to increase their knowledge, improve their skills and develop confidence.
That every adult is supported to engage in life-long learning, at home, at work and within their family and is able to confidently access information and opportunities to their fullest potential in every area of their lives.
- Personal Experience
- Life-long Learning
- Individual Learning Needs
- Continual Personal Improvement & Renewal
- High School Diploma/GED Certificate or equivalent, with good reading and writing skills
- Excellent English communication skills
- Ability to take direction and to work collaboratively with staff and other volunteers
- Ability to maintain confidentiality; have patience; be non-judgemental
- Be 19 years or older
The Dartmouth Learning Network is committed to providing a safe environment for our learners, staff, and volunteers. We follow the Standard of Care: Ten Steps of Screening – The Canadian Code for Volunteer Involvement To that end we support and follow Volunteer Canada’s Volunteer Screening Guidelines. We will assess each volunteer assignment based on the following criteria:
- Who is the participant?
- What activities does the volunteer assignment entail?
- Where will the volunteer assignment take place?
- What will be the level of supervision during the volunteer assignment?
Each potential volunteer will be required to:
- Complete a volunteer application form
- Attend an interview
- Attend a volunteer orientation
- Attend specific training relevant to the volunteer activity they will be undertaking
- Attend quarterly training/information sessions held by Dartmouth Learning Network
- Complete a Criminal Records Check (based on volunteer activity)
- Provide each volunteer with a meaningful volunteer assignment that reflects their skills, interests, needs and background.
- Provide a clearly written position description for each volunteer assignment
- Provide on-going support and supervision for each volunteer assignment
- Provide on-going training for each volunteer assignment
- Provide follow-up, feedback, and recognition to each volunteer regarding their assignment
As a Tutor you will be trained to work with adult learners during a comprehensive training workshop. You will be oriented to the history and mandate of The Dartmouth Learning Network and you will learn how low literacy skills affect your community. You will have hands-on training in the methods of mentoring adult learners and you will learn what happens once you are matched with a learner, or a group of learners. Topics include:
- Student assessment, goal setting and evaluation
- How to use resources
- Reading & writing strategies
- Workplace literacy
- Training plans and evaluations
- Using the computer as a learning tool
- Follow up training on relevant literacy topics scheduled as needed
There is no cost for you to attend all we ask is that you make a six to twelve month commitment to helping an adult learner reach their learning goals.
- Initial and ongoing professional development opportunities
- Up to date adult teaching and resource materials
- A friendly and professional working environment
- Comfortable and secure lesson locations
- Annual recognition of achievements
- Regular updates of events
- Ongoing support as needed