Family Literacy Day Event
Date: January 26th. From 10 am - 12:00 pm
Venue: Boys & Girls Club (60 Farrell Street)
The Dartmouth Learning Network is proud to partner with the Boys & Girls Club of Greater Halifax (Dartmouth North Site) to celebrate Family Literacy Day on January 26th. From 10 am - 12:00 pm at the Boys & Girls Club (60 Farrell Street).
Families can drop by to:
- have a free family portrait taken by Tee Johnny Photography
- get a free children's book (thanks to First Book Canada and Farrell Benevolent Society)
- take part in a book swap - bring books to trade with others
- make a book about their family and create their own family tree
- enjoy healthy snacks and refreshments
- visit with live storybook characters (courtesy of the Village On Main)
Admission is free and this event is open to the public.(first come, first serve)
About Family Literacy Day
Family Literacy Day, held annually on January 27th, was developed by ABC Life Literacy Canada in 1999 to celebrate adults and children reading and learning together and to encourage Canadian families to spend at least 15 minutes a day enjoying a learning activity together. Family Literacy refers to the many ways families develop and use literacy skills, from enjoying a storybook together, to playing with word games, singing, writing to a relative or friend, sharing day-to-day tasks such as making a shopping list or using a recipe and surfing the Internet for fun and interesting sites.